There are 7 main energy centres in the body, known as chakras. Each chakra is located throughout our body so that it ties in to specific body ache and physical dysfunctions; each energy centre also houses our mental and emotional strengths. When we have a physical issue, it creates weaknesses in our emotional behaviour. When we release the stale energy from the body, it can undo any tightness, stiffness, or malfunction of that area.
The clearing of the energy can also balance our emotional state of mind. The chakra mind and body balance is a two-way street, if there are certain fears and emotions we are holding on to, we experience physical restrictions, too. If you have achiness or stiffness, or certain reoccurring emotions and fears, keep reading as you may find out which chakra is affected or blocked.
1st or Root Chakra
Position: Base of the Spine
Objective: It corresponds to the physical body and connection to the Earth. Just like a foundation, it is concerned with the basics of survival: food, shelter, safety, comfort and belonging.
When your Root Chakra is blocked…
- You can tell if your root chakra is closed if you often feel stuck and sluggish
- You experience unrelenting stress because of a belief that you must rely on external circumstances
- You may have persistant financial problems and find yourself in a less-than-ideal career
- You feel you have been abandoned by your parents
- You feel you have to survive life and are constantly getting by or going without
- You hate your body and feel you are not good enough the way you are
When your Root Chakra is open…
- You have a strong connection with your family and or friends that are like family to you, and as a result, feel wanted and loved
- You feel like you belong, you are content with your body and are confident with money, managing it well and always having enough for what you need and want
The lesson of this chakra is self-preservation; we have a right to be here.
2nd or Sacral Chakra
Position: Below the belly button. Looking at the body from head to toe, this is your physical centre Objective: Sexuality, the nature of your relationships, freedom from guilt, pleasure, sensation, creativity and the joys of life.
When your Sacral Chakra is blocked…
- You experience difficulty allowing yourself to become emotionally and sexually intimate
- You believe sex is bad and that it can hurt you, or your feel you have to be sexy to be loved
- You feel abused, hurt, and confused and don’t trust that you can be loved for being you
- You struggle with a healthy self-image
- You move from one relationship to another, desperately trying to find “the one” yet lacking the sense that you are worthy of love
When your Sacral Chakra is open…
- You have a strong sense of your sexuality and recognize it as one of your most powerful creative energies
- You create healthy sexual experiences with others that honor you, you enjoy pleasure in many different ways in life
The lesson of this chakra is to honour others.
3rd or Solar Plexus Chakra
Position: Above the navel – two inches below the breastbone.
Objective: Relationship with yourself, personal power, self-esteem, self-worth, and freedom from shame.
When your Solar Plexus Chakra is blocked…
- You feel like a victim in the world and often feel powerless relative to other people and circumstances
- You give your power away to others as you feel this is necessary to keep peace in relationships
- You will find it difficult to take action on your dreams due to a sense of powerlessness and low self-esteem
- You suffer from stomach pains and stomach anxiety
When your Solar Plexus Chakra is open…
- You have a strong sense of your own power and how to use it in healthy ways
- You admire others with power and influence and choose to emulate people who are
- You want to use your power and influence for good in the world
The lesson of this chakra is self-acceptance.
4th or Heart Chakra
Position: Center of chest
Objective: Love and spirituality, compassion, emotional zone, masculine/feminine of the self, and forgiveness. Love doesn’t mean only love for others; it also applies to self-love and self-acceptance.
When your Heart Chakra is blocked…
- You are afraid of commitment and feel like you have to please others to be loved
- You have been hurt by others many times in relationships and now feel like you have to guard yourself from being hurt again
- You have trouble with giving and receiving love and being compassionate
- You hold grudges and become needy in relationships, and this often leads to anger and distrust
- A weak heart chakra can be at the root of heart disease, asthma, and allergies
When your Heart Chakra is open…
- You are comfortable in your relationships
- You give and receive love easily, and you feel a heartfelt sense of gratitude for how wonderful your life is
- You appreciate others and feel compassion for yourself and others without feeling sorry for anyone
The lesson of this chakra is I Love.
5th or Throat Chakra
Position: Hollow of throat
Objective: Your communication center — your voice, your creative self-expression. Speaking your truth, coming from the center of your willpower, listening and being heard.
When your Throat Chakra is blocked…
- You are afraid to speak up and say what you want or feel
- You go along with others so you don’t upset anyone
- You are frustrated because you don’t feel that other people hear what you have to say
- You get sore throats often and feel like your throat is blocked
When your Throat Chakra is open…
- You are comfortable speaking your truth
- You experience others listening to you and you feel that you are heard and honored for your truth
The lesson of this chakra is to speak up and let your voice be heard.
6th or Third Eye Chakra
Position: Between the eyebrows
Objective: Responsible for psychic abilities such as intuition as well as your sense of purpose in life — self-reflection, visualization, discernment, and trust of your own intuition.
When your Third Eye Chakra is blocked…
- You struggle with finding meaning in life and oftne ask yourself, “Why am I here?”
- You feel disconnected from your intuition, or don’t feel like you have any
- You have trouble making decisions and you feel lost when it comes to your spiritual purpose and path in life
- You feel frustrated that there is something wrong with you as you feel like other people have this intuitive sense and you don’t
- You get headaches and feel tension in your brow area often
When your Third Eye Chakra is open…
- Your intuition is your constant guide that you trust and act on with confidence
- You have a strong sense of your own inner truth and listen to and follow it as it guides you on your life path
The lesson of this chakra is to see the big picture.
7th or Crown Chakra
Position: Top of the head
Objective: This is the connection between you and the divine. It is responsible for spirituality, belief systems, revelation, divine consciousness, and enlightenment. Your brain functions and central nervous system are controlled by the crown chakra.
When your Crown Chakra is blocked…
- You experience loneliness, insignificance, and meaningless
- You may feel a strong attachment to material possessions and achievements (and define yourself according to them) and a disconnect from the spiritual side of life
- You feel no connection or guidance from a higher power, you feel unworthy of spiritual help and are angry that your higher power has abandoned you
- You often suffer from migraines and tension headaches
When your Crown Chakra is open…
- You feel connected to a higher power and sense that you are being watched over and cared for
- You know you deserve immense blessings
- You feel immense gratitude for the universal love and appreciation you feel towards yourself and others
The lesson of this chakra is live mindfully.
You may feel that more than one chakra is imbalanced or blocked. This is because when one is blocked, the other chakras begin to compensate and either become overactive or under-active.
The best way to start balancing them is to start at the root chakra and work your way up to the crown chakra.